Austria - Culture Overview
Austria has always been famous for novelists, poets and writers.
- Franz Grillparzer - the greatest Austrian playwright of the 19th century
- Ferdinand Raimund - playwright and actor of the 19th century
- Johann Nestroy - leading playwright of the Austrian Biedermeier, he was called as the Austrian Shakespeare
- Arthur Schnitzler - famous writer and inventor of the stream of consciousness technique
- Felix Salten - journalist and critic, he wrote the story of Bambi
- Ingeborg Bachmann - writer and poet of the 20th century
- Peter Handke - contemporary writer and journalist
- Elfriede Jelinek - contemporary writer and playwright
Austria was the musical center of Europe in the 18th centruy. The most famous composers were: Ludwig van Beethoven, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Joseph Haydn.
- Schrammelmusik - played with an accordion and double necked guitar, derives from Vienna
- Alpunk - originated in the Alpine regions of Austria
- Ländler - folk dance
- Yodeling - throat singing, originates in the Alps
- Walz - folk dance, it became famous in the classicism
We can find plenty of castles, cathedrals and palaces. Most of the castles were built during the Habsburg reign.
- Castles - Castle Liechtenstein, Burg Hohenwerfen
- Cathedrals - Minoritenkirche (the oldest) and Stephansdom (one of the highest) in Vienna
- Palaces - Schönbrunn, Belvedere
- Abbey - Melk abbey
- Other - Semmering Railway
Many Viennese shops sell delightful local crafts that can serve as wonderful gifts for family and friends. Among these gifts are hand-painted porcelain, ceramics, handmade dolls, wrought-iron work, petit-point needlework, knitwear, down quilts, wood-carvings, and leather goods. Porcelain from the manufacturer Augarten, is especially famous from Vienna and should be considered as a gift for someone special.
- Wiener Schnitzel: this austrian speciality is breadcrumb and fried veal escalope
- Erdäpfel salat: it is made from potatoes
- Kaiserschmarrn: this dessert is made from shredded pancake and stewed fruits.
- Apfelstrudel: this is a very delicious dessert; it is made from thin rolled dough filled by apple
- Typical drinks in Austria: the national drink is beer like in Germany, but there is a huge range of excellent wines as well, especially white wines are very popular in Austria (Grüner Veltliner, Riesling, Muskateller etc.)